There’s a lot of information students need to know in order to answer the questions in the maths SATS papers Year 6 pupils will be sitting in mid-May.
With so much to revise it can be difficult to isolate where students are struggling and what strategies to use to help.
(PS: If your children are anxious about sitting tests then have a look at our post on “Take the stress out of SATS preparation“.)
Sometimes students just need a quick refresher to check their maths understanding or get a more solid grounding in the basics to properly understand a more complex concept.
To help with this we’ve put together a downloadable poster that identifies our top BrainPOP Maths topics useful for Key Stage 2 SATS revision.
- Taking a SATS sample test and circling ones that proved challenging. Then refer to the poster and search BrainPOP to find the appropriate movie (for the Arithmetic paper we’ve even included some sample questions above the movie).
- If after watching the movie and doing the quiz students are still struggling, then you know it’s not just that they haven’t understood the concept, there may be a deeper problem. This helps save teacher time and focus on where students need help the most.
- Using it to motivate! Watching the movie then managing to solve the problem is a great memorisation strategy and can help students commit the concept to long-term memory.
- Plus, because the PDF includes links on all of the images students can take charge of their revision and use it independently!
Further help (and fun)
If you just need help getting extra practice in while keeping students engaged don’t forget to check out our maths games.
- Games like Addition Blocks are great for practising quick basic mental maths
- Primary Krypto is fantastic mental maths helper
- Flower Power is an invaluable tool for building number sense around fractions, decimals, and mixed numbers
And as a bonus it never hurts to inject a little fun into maths revision
Good luck everyone!