Adding a shortcut to your computer desktop is a simple way to provide quick access to the BrainPOP UK website. It can be replicated onto every school computer too.
To help we’ve designed a colourful “Moby” desktop icon set that can be used on any Windows or Apple Mac machine.
Simply create the desktop shortcut, link it to www.brainpop.co.uk and then replace the icon image with one of our specially designed images.
READY? LET’S START
Step 1: Download the right icon file for your computer (download the .zip file to your computer and unzip to somewhere the icon file can be permanently stored)
Step 2: Create the desktop shortcut
- To create short cut in Mac OS X visit this page: How to create weblink shortcut in Mac OS X by Apple support
- To create short cut in Windows visit this page: How to create a weblink shortcut on the desktop by Microsoft support
(Subscribers have the option of requesting an “automatic login link” that not only takes you to the BrainPOP UK website but automatically logs you in at the same time. If this is something you’d like please get in touch.)
Step 3: Change the shortcut picture
This is pretty easy but there’s so many versions of Windows out there it means there’s probably subtle difference between each method. The following method works on Windows XP and is likely translatable to other versions of Windows:
- Right click desktop icon > select “Properties”
- On the “Web document” tab click “Change Icon” > click “Browse” > browse to wherever you stored the .ico file from Step 1 and select it.
- Click OK, then OK.
- Open the “Moby-desktop-icon-Mac.icns” file in the Preview application
- Select ALL images (should be 6 in total) and COPY them.
- Open the info page for the desktop shortcut by hitting COMMAND-I or right click (hold the control key while clicking) on the item to display the context menu and choose “Get Info”
- PASTE over the little icon in the upper left corner by hitting COMMAND-v to paste the image
- You should see the icon graphic change to the BrainPOP image