We don’t say enough how much parents like BrainPOP UK, to use out of school as a safe, interesting and engaging resource.
So we asked one of our parent subscribers to tell us why they use BrainPOP UK. Here’s her review.
“My 10 year old daughter loves BrainPOP UK.
- It’s great for people who think in pictures. It suits visual learning styles and it’s perfect for children with a short attention span or for busy people who don’t have time to watch long programmes.
- The range and choice of subjects is fascinating, informative and seems to be well-researched.
- The illustrations are great.
- The tone seems just right, even in subjects that could be controversial or difficult to explain to children.
- Clips can be watched at a time that is convenient for the user, any time of day or night.
- Very educational, but the children are having so much fun, they don’t notice how much they are learning about the world until they impress their parents with something that even they don’t know. And then, when you ask them how they know, they’ll probably say they heard it on BrainPOP.
- School is so long nowadays and sitting at a desk all day can be very tedious for a child. BrainPOP is so much fun and so different from being talked at by a teacher, that my daughter begs to watch a few more clips even when we’re short of time.
- I have recommended BrainPOP to friends and they seem very impressed and pleased that such resources exist.
- Clips can be watched many times, either because of the humour or to consolidate learning.
- The content offers something for a huge range of ages – I would say from 7 to a 100+
My ideas for BrainPOP UK:
- Personally, I would have liked more voices behind the clips.
- Maybe some children and women could also read some of the material.
- We’re always hoping that you will add more new clips!
- We feel that some of the movies are a bit too short – could perhaps be 4-5 minutes, but then the beauty of BrainPOP UK is that it explains and illustrates everything so clearly and concisely.
We don’t use other resources, apart from BrainPOP UK. Our daughter spends all day at school and it’s important that she has time to play and relax when at home. She used Mathletics and Spellodrome for a little while. They are excellent (award-winning in fact), but it’s difficult to find time for them or any other useful resources.
I enjoy watching the clips with my daughter and learn from them myself, but I know that I don’t need to check the content before I allow access to it. So if I don’t have time to watch them, I know that whatever she is listening to within BrainPOP UK is entirely appropriate.
I consider that her time on BrainPOP UK is time well spent, as she is being exposed to important matters that the school might not cover. This will surely broaden her horizon and help her to become a well-rounded and caring citizen.”
And we’ll save the last word for the daughter in question, Donny, the lucky recipient of some Moby badges:
“Thank you so much for the badges you sent me. I love them! I also love BrainPOP.”
Best wishes, Donny”
by Merita Lumley, from Buckinghamshire.