What is TeachMeet takeover? We should probably leave that to Tom Barrett (the teacher who came up with the idea) to explain:
“Educators presenting about FREE ideas on the vendor stands at the world’s largest educational technology event. Sharing inspiration for free.”
Tom Barrett, Edte.ch blog: http://edte.ch/blog/2009/12/14/teachmeet-takeover-needs-you
At each stand, at a certain time of the day (check out the TeachMeet Takeover time table), a teacher will “takeover” part of a stand to demo free tools and resources that teachers may find interesting and useful. On our stand it will be on the big plasma TV on the back wall.
Lots of companies have volunteered to provide some space for a takeover:
- Rising Stars
- The National Archives / BFI / English Heritage
- Promethean Planet
- VT Group
- DB Education
We’re privileged to be welcoming through the week:
- the inimitable Drew Buddie (demoing “Doing more with Tim & Moby using freely available Web 2.0 Tools” and “Wordle, Tagul & BrainPOP“)
- the inspirational John Johnston (demoing “A project to gather the voices of educators using mobile devices”)
- the main man himself, Tom Barrett (demoing “Why Voicethread should be used in every primary classroom”)
The demos will only be a few minutes long, and, having seen these 3 present before, we know you’ll walk away enlightened and full of new ideas. Also if you pick up a TeachMeet Takeover flyer during the show it will include a mini competition, along with the timetable of confirmed talks.
You will need to collect 8 ideas from takeover talks from around the show to claim some prizes from the stands taking part. We’re donating some ice cool Tim and Moby memorabilia.
Perhaps you’ll also be inspired enough to go to a TeachMeet one day.
So why are we letting teachers “take over” our stand?
There are 3 parts to our answer.
- Put simply, we are intrigued. BrainPOPpers are naturally inquisitive people. We’re also BETT veterans and like to feel part of its evolution. It may work, it may not – but if you don’t try you’ll never know.
- We support CPD (Continuing Professional Development). To support those who want to be better teachers. We know BrainPOP UK works best as part of a good teacher’s toolkit – we also know teachers call upon any number of other resources. Why shouldn’t we do our bit to encourage open minded investigation into new ways of doing things?
- We’ve always been big supporters and sponsors of the TeachMeet initiative too and part of the Takeover is to encourage new people to go to a TeachMeet.
Our stand is only small but we’re sure TeachMeeters can make the best of it. You have our promise that we won’t “push” anything, we’re just happy to lend our space to help out this exciting event.
All that’s left to say really is “Bring on the TeachMeet Takeover!”